This exhibit covers downtown Sunnyvale from 1860 to 1949 and is a look at Sunnyvale from “Murphy’s Station” to the Fifties. It opened June 30 and will close October 20, 2019.
In the horse-and-buggy days of the 1860s settlement known at the time as Murphy’s Station, Main Street (now Murphy Avenue) was a dirt road leading to the railroad stop. the first store held windows for the post office, the drugstore, and the general store, respectively.
The museum’s new exhibit includes a series of photographs and maps depicting the slow growth and development of the early downtown, as well as artifacts from the first businesses lining Main Street and the railroad tracks. The display shows tools from the first veterinary office, the first morgue services, items from Del Monte’s cannery, Ryan’s Hotel, Tao Tao’s, the Kirkish store, and much more.
Copyright © 2019 Sunnyvale Historical Society & Museum Association, Inc., All Rights Reserved